We are currently unable to provide logistical, financial, or abortion doula support in Alabama. We will provide a resources list for people in Alabama seeking more information about accessing an abortion in another state.
About Alabama Cohosh Collaborative
The Alabama Cohosh Collaborative was founded as an initiative to provide abortion doulas to clients at the Alabama Women’s Center. We are a proud member of the National Network of Abortion Funds. We are guided by a doula ethic, meaning that in all of our work we want to:
- Recognize the wholeness of each person, knowing that a reproductive journey is more than just a medical experience. We believe that reproductive care work is sacred work.
- Give attention to the mechanisms of social oppression and marginalization that govern our institutions and impact us as individuals.
- Dismantle dismissiveness in care. We do our best to meet people where they are, to call people in, and to believe what people are telling us about their needs and their experiences.
- Advocate for skillful care while also recognizing professionalization as a potential tool for dehumanization. The art and skill of being a doula is ancient, resilient, and embedded in community. Doula work is humanizing for both the giver and the receiver of care.
In addition to our abortion doula work, we also provide reproductive justice-based support to the north Alabama community through lactation support programs, free rides for reproductive care appointments in Madison County, Alabama, and by working to build a reproductive care workforce that is grounded in patient-centered care and human sovereignty.
We continue to work to shift the public narrative around abortion care in the South, and will return to providing abortion doula work as soon as we can safely do so.
We’d love for you to consider sponsoring us as an individual member by choosing Alabama Cohosh Collaborative as your anchor fund! To keep up with us follow us on social media @alabamacohosh or sign up for email updates, including a quarterly newsletter.
This Fund Can Provide:
- Contraception & Reproductive Healthcare
- Sex Education
- Works Directly with Abortion Seekers