First, let’s talk about what makes a Heart-to-Heart conversation.
Not yelling across the dinner table is a start! These conversations work best one-on-one, and with a little preparation. Think about the person you want to talk to. What do you already know about their views about abortion, and what assumptions might you be making? What systemic factors might impact or limit their understanding and access to abortion? What do you need to prepare based on what you know?
Our Heart-to-Heart conversation card deck is rich with thought- and heart-provoking questions to help guide your discussions. When you’re ready to go deeper, we’ve developed expansion packs as well!
- Get our Heart-to-Heart card deck here
- Learn more about Heart-to-Heart Conversations here
- Draw a card at random here
- Explore our Black & Bold edition here
Our HEART conversation tips:
- HONE: Take a moment to clarify your purpose and your message to yourself. What do you need to start? Notice how you — and your family — are feeling when you enter into this conversation. Identify where you might have shared values, and assess what assumptions or questions you may have.
- ENGAGE: Get to know your conversation partner. Practice active listening — don’t just wait for your turn to speak! Share your own vision of a world where everyone has access to abortion and Reproductive Justice, and learn their views and understandings about abortion.
- ASK: Check in about how things are going with your conversation partner. How are they feeling? Ask if there are things they want you to know about their own experiences and how they shape their values.
- RECONNECT & RESOURCES: Offer to follow up on the conversation and share resources (articles, videos, podcasts, etc.) for them to review at their own pace.
- THANK: Offer gratitude for their time, listening, and commitment to deepening your relationship. Extend this gratitude to yourself, too! You’re doing hard, heartfelt work, right where it counts.
Additional Heart-to-Heart Resources
Get more Heart-to-Heart resources, tips, and strategies for individuals and small groups
Want to know more about how other abortion funders have Heart-to-Heart conversations? Read about it in our 2016 article for Rewire News.