Did you know that 90% of counties in the United States don’t have an abortion provider?
Imagine yourself making the journey to get an abortion. Even if you could pull together the $500, $700, or upwards of $1,000 to pay out of pocket, how would you get to the clinic and back at an average distance of 200 miles? If you had to take a six hour bus ride or even get on a flight to access care, who would take care of your kids, given that the majority of people who have abortions are already parenting? And how would you recover the lost wages from being out from work for several days?
Abortion funds will do whatever it takes to get callers the care they need. Funding, transportation, translations services, even a hand to hold on the way into the clinic or during the procedure. No matter what, we find a way.
That’s why we’re honing in on increasing access to medication abortion, a safe and effective treatment to end a pregnancy that consists of taking two pills in a clinic or preferred location, as a key element of our policy and advocacy agenda.
- More than 30% of abortions in the United States are administered through medication abortion and we see that number increasing.
- Medication abortion is safe, and despite growing restrictions on its use, it’s clear that it can put power back into the hands of people who have abortions.
- It has the potential to be a transformative way for abortion fund callers to circumvent the web of deceptive laws designed to hinder access to abortion providers.
- Medication abortion means it’s possible to manage most of your abortion in the privacy of your own home or another safe location of your choice. It also allows for shorter in-person appointments, and follow-up can take place over the phone.
Will you voice your support for medication abortion by making a donation today?
Abortion funds are gearing up to take on abortion telemedicine bans, mandatory waiting periods, requirements to undergo medically inaccurate counseling, and other restrictions designed to criminalize medication abortion and limit the autonomy of abortion fund callers. We’re showing up in D.C. and in state legislatures with the fierce, unapologetic, stigma-busting commitment to abortion access that you’ve made possible with your profound support!
- Mobilizing abortion funders, people who have abortions, researchers, advocates, and providers to determine how to fight back against laws that criminalize medication abortion access on state and federal levels.
- Training abortion funds so that all of our members are equipped with the policy knowledge, advocacy skills, and practical tools to advocate for medication abortion access in their local communities.
- Investing in the leadership of people who have abortions, run abortion funds, and who have lived experiences at the intersection of racial, economic, and reproductive injustice.
With you on our side, we’re making sure that we all have access to abortion care in our own communities and on our own terms. Will you donate today to make sure that no one has to carry a pregnancy to term against their will?
Thank you for your partnership and your trust. I am humbled and honored by the tremendous potential of what we can achieve together.
P.S. To learn more about how medication abortion check out our political and cultural agenda and donate to support vital abortion access in local communities and around the country!